Sunday, July 12, 2015

Herbal pain relief

   I got very excited about this tincture as it worked to stop my migraine pain right in the stage where it is quite bad and I could feel pain pulsing in my head. I have several preventative formulas, which work quite well, but this last week I was sick with tonsillitis and a strong cough and had my period at the same time, and was taking herbs from those things, and forgot preventatives, which all together brought on a headache after headache. I am quite pleased to say, that I didn't need to use any chemical medicine for neither of these problems. I used many herbs, magnesium, juiced veggies and greens, and drank green smoothies.
  Here is the formula I used to stop my headaches:equal parts of Jamaican Dogwood, Wood Betony, and Black Cohosh.
I was still making my Jamaican Dogwood tincture, so it wasn't even full strength yet, but it worked very well. I took about a droperful each half an hour for 5 times or so. It took about 2 hours to fully kick the headache, but possibly, if I would have taken several dropersful at once, it would have been much faster. Keep in mind, that I was already in a bad stage, when I began taking it.
   My preventative formulas contain Wood Betony,  Mad Dog Scullcap (scutelaria lateriflorra, make sure get from reputable company or be careful gathering as there is a toxic plant that looks very similar) , Boswellia (Indian frankincense, boswellia serrata), Red Clover, Black Cumin seed tincture, California Poppy (that one just in pm version as you don't want to drive for a while after ingesting it, just like with valerian), Lemon Balm, Catnip.
For menstrual migraines- Pulsatilla (anemone vulgaris)tincture might be used, but in small amounts 5-10 drops 2-3 times a day,larger amounts can cause nausea. Another strong pain herb is Wild Lettuce, which I didn't try yet.
   As far as magnesium goes, I used two kinds -magnesium malate and magnesium glycinate, and second form, I feel, worked stronger for me. People also say, that that second form helps them to sleep deeper, I didn't notice that benefit, but I was sick to begin with. I took about 600 mg in two doses a day. I used capsules from vitacost, but now I found bulk magnesium glycinate powder on amazon, so I might use that since it doesn't have fillers and I do not have to swallow so many capsules.

No comments: